Many people struggle to find a workout program or style of exercise that suits them, but once you’ve found that exercise program, getting in shape becomes something fun. If you’re looking for a low-impact program that doesn’t involve jumping or weights, then the popular PiYo workout, which is essentially a combination of yoga and Pilates, may be the workout for you. This article will look in-depth at this well-known workout.
Features of PiYo
#1. Low-Impact & Easy on the Joints
PiYo is an exercise that was developed by fitness professional Chalene Johnson. Johnson says of the program that “you can sculpt your whole body without beating yourself up.” This refers to the fact that this exercise is extremely low-impact, and therefore easy on the joints. Chalene and her team created this program as a combination of Pilates and yoga moves, but often at a somewhat faster speed. Even the name combines elements of each of these disciplines.
#2. Body Weight High-Intensity Routines
The PiYo workout is under the umbrella of the popular workout program Beachbody. The Beachbody program notes that this workout involves “No Weights. No Jumps. Just Hardcore Results.” It focuses on burning fat through high-intensity work without incorporating the impact-heavy exercises typically found in group exercise classes.
#3. Flexible Purchasing Plan & Free Trial
Because PiYo is offered through Beachbody, those who wish to try it can choose to purchase the PiYo workout DVD training system, which includes seven workouts, a workout calendar, and a fitness and eating plan to maximize results. Those who choose this plan can pay in installments for better affordability.
Alternatively, they can choose to stream workouts using Beachbody on Demand, which also allows access to the workout calendar and fitness and nutrition plans. The streaming option offers users a 14-day free trial, so this may be a good option for those who are unsure of whether the PiYo workout is a good choice for them.
PiYo Workout Pros
- Low impact. Because the routine doesn’t involve any jumping exercises, PiYo offers a challenging exercise opportunity that is friendly to those with joint issues or those who are otherwise uncomfortable with impact.
- Provides structure. For many, an established workout structure makes it easier to follow an exercise program, and PiYo guides you through workouts and also provides a workout calendar.
- Includes nutrition guidelines. Nutrition is an integral part of achieving physique and fitness goals, and the included nutrition guide can help even inexperienced exercisers find success.
- Emphasizes flexibility as well as core strengthening. Because of the balanced focus of the PiYo workout, exercisers are likely to achieve full-body fitness.
- Offers an innovative way to exercise. Those who want a non-traditional approach to exercise may find this program especially appealing.
- Combines two established disciplines. PiYo combines two time-tested exercise disciplines, and it also puts together their respective benefits.
PiYo Workout Cons
- Some moves are repeated very frequently. While PiYo is generally varied in terms of what goes into each workout, some reviewers have noted that, regarding bodyweight exercises designed to build strength, there isn’t a lot of variety. While the workouts can be challenging, some of the same moves are repeated very often.
- There is no in-person trainer. The PiYo workout is a unique combination of yoga and Pilates, and therefore, many of its movements are unique. While you have a trainer on the DVD or stream instructing you, there is no in-person trainer to observe your form and correct issues that you may have.
- Some workouts are very short. Some reviewers note that, particularly in the beginning of PiYo, many workouts are very short. Still, this may come down to an issue of personal preference. Also, this might make some feel like they need a little more exercise. We are talking especially about those who are experienced or already in good shape.
Drawing to a Close
It’s true that PiYo workout might not be for everyone. However, the guided exercises and innovative combination of yoga and Pilates makes it a unique and challenging workout that is probably unlike any group exercise most people have ever tried.
If you are looking for a low-impact way to exercise at home, the PiYo workout may be the exercise program you are looking for. You will not need to purchase weights or other equipment. Additionally, the inclusion of calendars and nutrition guides can make it a good choice for beginners. If you try the PiYo workout, share your experience!
Image sources: Beachbody, Amazon