Listed as the top five exercises by many experts, pull ups have many benefits. Women in particular tend to lack upper body strength, which can prevent them from doing common tasks like lifting a heavy box. It can also lead to injuries, making it important for women to know how to do pull ups. Men should take pull ups to heart so they can develop muscular arms and a strong back. Pull ups and chin ups may seem hard but people should be able to lift their body with their arms.
- Step 1: After learning how to do pull ups, women should strive to complete at least one full pull up. Men should aim for several series of five pull ups with ten percent of body weight attached to them. The chin up goal for women should be two complete movements and ultimate targets of three pull ups and five chin ups is recommended.
- Step 2: To start taking advantage of pull ups, men and women should use assisted pull up machines at the local gym. Alternatively, they can purchase and install one of the pull up bars sold online and in stores. After pulling the body up over the bar or using a chair to achieve the position, hold it for 30 seconds or longer. When it feels like you are unable to hold yourself, lower the body gently, slowly, and in a controlled way. Repeat the exercise five times.
- Step 3: If a chair is used for assistance, it should eventually be removed. Once a person has mastered how to do pull ups, he or she should gradually increase pull ups to reach the target number.
- Step 4: Reading more about pull ups reveals that a pull up builds grip strength because forearms, hands, and fingers are involved. It also develops the shoulders, triceps, and biceps, providing strength and improved muscularity. Abdominal and back muscles are given a good workout when people make use of their pull up bars. Bodybuilders should take note of this and incorporate or increase pull ups in their workout routines.
- Step 5: Gymnasts know all about pull ups and have been performing the pull up and chin up for many years. These exercises are much safer than deadlifts and more effective than lat pulldowns. Take a hint from them and learn how to do pull ups and chin ups at home and using gym equipment.
It is difficult to believe that learning how to do pull ups and incorporating these in the exercise program can transform the physique. Pull ups have long been downplayed due their difficulty. This is unfortunate because those who know the secret of these exercises realize that they can be the key to developing muscles and improving strength. Whether you are an athlete, bodybuilder, or just the average Joe, a simple pull up and chin up exercise routine can change your life.