Loose skin on the back of the arms is an unattractive view that can become a source of embarrassment. For many persons with more jiggle than they would like in the area of the upper arms, the problem can even begin to dictate wardrobe selection.
One sure-fire way to address this problem is by toning and strengthening the triceps muscle located at the back of the upper arm. The following article will answer the question how to work out your triceps by using both body weight exercises and dumbbell routines.
Body Weight Exercises That Strengthen and Tone Triceps
Exercises that utilize your own body weight as resistance is an excellent alternative when searching for how to work out your triceps. Below you’ll see different types of exercises that can improve your physical condition and self-esteem.
Push-ups are generally thought to be a chest exercise. The truth is that they can also provide many benefits for sculpting triceps. Push-ups are also one of the most commonly used measures of upper body strength.
- Start with both palms on the floor while the weight of your body is supported by your hands and toes. Arms should be slightly bent and positioned shoulders length apart. Keep legs straight and feet together.
- Start the exercise by lowering your chest until it is inches from the floor. Be mindful to inhale when performing this portion of the exercise.
- Exhale while pushing with the arms until back to the original position.
- Once arms are fully extended, pause to steady your position and then repeat.
2. Triceps Dips
Dips are also an excellent answer to the question how to work out your triceps.
- Start by placing both arms behind your back. Use your hands to grip a chair or bench. Legs should be straightforward with feet together.
- From this position, use your arms to lower your body slowly. Keep your elbows tucked as close to the body as possible.
- Continue to lower your body while concentrating on the resistance applied to the triceps muscle. The downward motion should continue until the buttocks are a few inches from the floor.
- From this lower position push, use only the triceps muscle until you find yourself once again at the starting position. Repeat.
3. One-Armed Push-Ups from the Side Position
Another great exercise to use when searching for how to work out your triceps is the side-positioned one-armed push-up.
- Begin by lying down on your left side with knees slightly bent.
- Position your left hand so that it rests on your right shoulder. Your right palm should be placed on the floor at abdomen level.
- Push until torso is raised from the floor.
- Repeat and alternate sides.
Dumbbell Exercises that Strengthen and Tone Triceps
When deciding how to work out your triceps, dumbbell exercises can be used to jump-start your progress. This type of training offers protection to your joints while working on your muscles. Moreover, dumbbells exert the same amount of pressure for both your triceps leading to balance.
1. Triceps Extensions
Triceps extensions are a great exercise to gain definition in the area of the triceps muscle.
- Begin in a standing position with feet shoulder length apart.
- Grip a dumbbell with both hands behind your head. Make sure that both palms are aimed at the ceiling with upper hands pulled snuggly on both sides of your head.
- Lower your arms behind you toward the floor until the dumbbell makes contact with the upper part of your back. Keep elbows locked in place close to the ears.
- Concentrate on using only your triceps muscle to raise the dumbbell until your arms are fully extended above your head.
2. Bent over Row
Though commonly performed with a barbell, the bent over row move can work just as effectively with a set of dumbbells.
- Start by standing with feet shoulder length apart with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Bend forward enough so that your torso is parallel to the floor while slightly bending at the knee. Your back should be straight with head up.
- Keep elbows tucked close to the body and exhale while pulling the dumbbells in the direction of your chest until positioned below the ribs.
- Hold this position while squeezing back muscles.
- Lower the dumbbells until in the starting position. Repeat.
Usually, most women focus on the muscles in their lower part of the body. As a result, they neglect their upper body which can lead to loose skin around the arms. Workouts that serve to strengthen and tone the triceps will do much to eliminate excess flab from the upper arm.
If you are searching for answers as to how to work out your triceps, both the body resistance and dumbbell exercises described above are a great place to start.
Choose one or more of these exercises to get started. It would also be a good idea to substitute other exercises in order to diversify your routine and prevent boredom.
Image source: 1, 2, 3